When to See Your Gynecologist

Regular visits to your gynecologist are crucial to overall health.  Why?  Because gynecologists specialize in the treatment of women’s reproductive health issues and can therefore recognize the early signs and symptoms of a serious problem.  But when should you see your gynecologist? 

When To See Your Gynecologist

Although it is important to schedule an appointment with your gynecologist for routine checkups and screenings, a visit may also be necessary if you are experiencing vaginal symptoms that are undiagnosed.

Below are some of the symptoms that require a visit to your gynecologist:

Painful Intercourse

Although some women experience painful intercourse to some degree, extreme pain with intercourse could be symptomatic of a serious condition such as vulvodynia.  It’s therefore best to visit your gynecologist for an evaluation if painful intercourse is an issue for you.  

Pain With Urination

If you experience pain when you urinate, this could be the sign of a urinary tract infection (UTI).   Left untreated, a UTI can lead to a severe medical condition such as a kidney infection.  Consequently, proper treatment is essential.  

Abnormal Vaginal Discharge/Odor

Most women have a vaginal discharge that is clear or milky and has a mild odor.  However, if there is a change in the color or odor of your vaginal discharge, it could be a sign of an infection. 

Vaginal Pain Or Burning

Vaginal pain often indicates a vaginal infection, which can be easily managed by your gynecologist.  But if you are experiencing persistent pain at the opening of the vagina that has no clear cause, it could indicate an underlying condition such as vulvodynia.      

If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and your doctor has not been able to make a diagnosis, contact Fowler Gyn International Phoenix, AZ, for help.  FGI treats select vaginal issues including vulvodynia, abnormal vaginal odor, and chronic urinary urgency. 

You can reach them at https://www.fowlergyninternational.com/, or by calling (480) 420-4001.  

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest