How to Feel More Comfortable Seeing a Vulvovaginal Doctor

Seeing a specialist may feel intimidating if you feel self-conscious about your vulvovaginal problems. Even if you see your usual gynecologist regularly, you might have some anxiety about meeting a vulvovaginal doctor. Even if your regular gynecologist has not been able to resolve your problems, your vulvovaginal doctor has the expertise to help you. 

Why Should I See a Vulvovaginal Doctor?

If you have symptoms of vulvodynia or chronic vaginal infection, you should consider seeing a vulvovaginal specialist. If you have any of these symptoms and they do not improve with your regular doctor’s treatment, you may need the help of a specialist. 

  • Burning or stinging
  • Irritation and sensitivity
  • Inflammation and redness
  • Discharge
  • Unusual odor
  • Pain with intercourse or even tampon use
  • No diagnosis on standard tests

Tests used by most gynecologists only check for four issues that might cause your symptoms, but a vulvovaginal doctor will assess you for a wide range of potential culprits. 

How to Feel More Comfortable Seeing a Vulvovaginal Doctor

Seeing someone who specializes in vulvovaginal issues may make you feel self-conscious. While this is very understandable, a team like Fowler GYN International will make sure you feel comfortable before proceeding with your assessment. You may feel more comfortable if you know what will happen on your visit. Some doctors can accept and test samples of your vaginal secretions before your visit, so they already have your test results to discuss with you. 

What Will My Visit Be Like With a Vulvovaginal Doctor?

During your first visit, your vulvovaginal doctor will take a careful history and may ask you questions like:

  • Do you have a lot of pain during your period?
  • Do you feel pain when you try to insert tampons?
  • Is intercourse painful or impossible?
  • Do you have any unusual vaginal odor or discharge?
  • Do you have symptoms such as burning, itching, or stinging?

If you have not already submitted a vaginal secretion sample, your doctor will collect one. This is used for the Vaginal Fluid Analysis (VFA). Instead of looking for a few specific issues, this test gives your specialist information about the health of your vagina tissue, your population of beneficial bacteria, and whether you have signs of unbalanced vaginal microflora. 

What Can a Vulvovaginal Doctor Treat?

Vulvovaginal specialists focus on the health of your vulva and vagina. They treat most conditions related to this area, especially problems that have been difficult to resolve. They can treat hypersensitivity, painful intercourse, and other symptoms using tailored treatment protocols that help your irritated tissues recover. 

Take the Next Step

The experts in vaginal health at Fowler GYN International (FGI) Phoenix, AZ specialize in the treatment of vulvovaginal conditions. The team at FGI is led by Dr. R. Stuart Fowler. Dr. Fowler is an Emeritus Mayo Clinic board-certified gynecologist.

You can reach FGI at, or by calling (480) 420-4001.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest